Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Spanikopita Biscuits

I probably spelled that wrong and I certainly couldn't be expected to say it right, being a hillbilly and all but these are yummie! I stumbled onto a recipe for biscuit swirls on a yahoo group called everything from scratch which obviously got my attention! (I don't know who added the recipe, all it had was a user id) I didn't have the things that the recipes called for so I went on a search to see if I had something else I could put in them. I found spinach and cheese! yummm! These were a hit with everyone in the family!

2 cups of plain flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup of shortening
1 cup buttermilk
1 can of spinach (you could probably use frozen-this is just what I had on hand)
4 slices of Provolone Cheese (again, this is what I had on hand-grated or sliced cheese of any kind would work)

Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cut in shortening and add buttermilk just as you would for biscuits. Turn out onto floured surface and knead lightly 10-12 times. Then pat out to about a 1/4-1/2 inch thick rectangle and let sit. Then open can of spinach and drain. I also squeezed all the liquid out between my hands until there was no more liquid. Then I put the spinach in a small bowl and took paper towels and put on top and pressed into the spinach to get all the excess water out. I didn't want it to make the biscuits doughy from being too moist. Maybe it was over kill. I layed slices of cheese ontop of the dough long ways and then put the spinach on top. I rolled them up like a jelly roll. Long ways and then sliced them about 1/3-1/2 inch thick and baked them in the oven at 400 for 15-20 minutes until they were browned. They were all eaten!

No comments: